A Very Kindle Christmas! and a Dad update

Happy Tuesday, everyone! I know some of you are headed back to work (not you teachers, tho!!), and that stinks! I personally think that everyone should have off during this time, so that we can all enjoy the holidays together, and frolic! Yeah, I said frolic :)

Anyway, I thought I'd do a quick recap of my main gift that I got for Xmas: my new Kindle Touch! I had been going back and forth debating about a Kindle Fire or a Touch. I had finally decided on a Fire until one of my friends who has had a regular Kindle and a Fire wrote and told me that she didn't like the Fire for reading. This was going to be my primary purpose in using it (I just got my Macbook Pro this summer, and dont really have an urgent need for a tablet...plus MG just got a different tablet and has kindly volunteered to let me use it whenever I want...wooohoo for generous boyfriends!) So, once I heard that it was hard to read after a bit (basically like looking at a computer screen), I quickly informed my parents Santa that I wanted the Touch 3G instead.

And, Santa delivered. Except, sadly, I got a bum Kindle. The one I got registered, but then when I went to buy a book (with some of the generous gift cert that I got from my good buddy Trish), it kept telling me that I had to register my device. Bummer.

So, some nice person working for Kindle on Christmas Day tried to help me, but to no avail, so yesterday I went to the store my mom got the Kindle and exchanged, and now I am in Kindle Touch bliss! I love it! I still have a book that I'm trying to finish (another 40 pages), and after that I have a book already waiting for me on my Kindle (along with a couple of games, too hehe).

It also has a nice pretty purple case (my favorite color!)



I was glad to get anything for Xmas this year--my parents have obviously been very busy with doctor's appointments, etc for my dad who is still recovering from his heart attack from a couple of months ago. I hadn't seen my dad in a couple of weeks, and I could immediately tell that my dad's lost weight. Being around for the past few days, I see how much my dad struggles with certain tasks. His heart is still functioning at only 15%, the same amount that it was functioning at the afternoon after his heart attack. My dad was pretty discouraged when hearing this. Luckily he has started cardiac rehab and the doctors are hoping that this helps to restore his hearts function to 40-50%. There are some drugs that they could give my dad to increase his heart's function, but these lower blood pressure and right now my dad's blood pressure is too low for them to give him those meds. A tricky, vicious circle it feels like.

Yesterday my mom and I went to a furniture store to try and get my dad a more comfortable chair since he spends a good amount of his day sitting and the chair he has now isn't as comfortable on the tushy. Luckily we found a nice recliner for him, and brought him to the store to try out the ones that we thought he would like. Reality once again smacked me in the face when I pushed my dad through the store in a wheel chair (walking through the store would have been too much all at once). After we got done, my dad commented that the wheel chair was a good idea since he didn't think he would have been able to make it through the store by walking. But, it definitely makes me see, again, just how fragile things still are with my dad.

I must say, I was glad I got to spend time at home with my parents this holiday. Did I get 800 presents? No. Do I care? Not at all. I got the best present of all, which is spending time with them. I'm SO thankful that my dad is here, when things could have easily gone the other way. So, thanks to all of you who sent up special prayers for my dad during that hard time. And, if you have a few extra spots in your prayers, throw him and his heart in there again :) Every little bit helps!

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas/holiday with friends and family!

3 comments:

  1. WOOHOO Kindle TOUCH!!! Love it! And then we can SHARE BOOKS! Love it even more.

    Will be sending up prayers for your Daddy! So glad you have a good head on your shoulders and got to enjoy some quality family time. Family is the best part of the holiday season hands down :)!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. My mom just went through quadruple bypass about a month ago, so I kind of know what you're going through. It's really hard seeing your parents so fragile. Saying prayers for him and for you & your family! Best of luck and congrats on your Kindle. 3G is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for a great Christmas!! I'll still be praying for your dad :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing your thoughts and comments--so, make my day and leave me some lovin'!