Recipe: Crock Pot Salsa Chicken and Black Bean Soup

I'm back with another recipe for you to start off your week! And, this one is SUPER easy, and tasty!

It's a recipe that I got from A Year of Slow Cooking, one of my go-to websites for crock pot recipes.

This is incredibly simple.

What You Need:
-About 1 pound chicken breasts (frozen or not)
-1 cup frozen corn
-2 cans of black beans
-16 oz jar of salsa
-8 oz package of mushrooms
-4 cups (or 32 oz) of chicken broth
-1 1/2 tsp cumin
-sour cream
-shredded cheese (I used Mexican blend)

What You Do:
1. I used a 6 qt crock pot for this recipe (I've used a 4 quart before but it gets really full). Drain and rinse the cans of beans and add them to the bottom of the crock pot. Add the chicken on top of the beans. Then add the chicken broth, salsa, corn, mushrooms and cumin.

2. Gently stir the mixture but keep the beans on the bottom of the crock pot. It will look something like this when you're done:

3. Turn the crock pot on LOW for 6-8 hours (I did 8 and it turned out great).

4. Use an immersible blender (or a fork) and to shred the chicken and make it a little bit thicker and more soup-like:
4a. Be thankful that you purchased an immersible blender from a Groupon deal.
It's SO awesome and works SO well!
***(Happened to see that this immersion blender is on sale today through Groupon for $20. It's definitely worth it! Go get you one!!)***

It should look like this when you're done blending (or shredding):

5. Spoon/ladle out the soup into bowls. Top with your desired amount of sour cream and cheese. The original website also says you can add avocado but since they're not in season I skipped that part.
As you can tell, I am a cheese fiend! :)
6. Say "MMMMM" the entire time that you eat it!

That's it! Super simple and super delicious. Start it in the morning and come home to dinner already made! This was good for about 5-6 servings (depending how many times you--or your man--go back for seconds!)

Let me know if you try it and how you like it!

3 comments:

  1. This is literally making my mouth water...It needs to be lunch time NOW! Yum!! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks good. except for those mushrooms. yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to do this just so that I can use my immersion blender. Haha.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing your thoughts and comments--so, make my day and leave me some lovin'!