Cajun Shrimp and Rice with Veggies Recipe

As promised, I have another bowl-licking good recipe for you, courtesy of the geniuses of Pinterest land!
Cajun Shrimp and Rice with Veggies
(Makes 4 servings)

This is a one-skillet meal, super yum, low on sodium and really easy!

What You Need:
-1 lb. peeled, deveined shrimp (mine were frozen and thawed)
-1 microwave pouch of rice (whole-grain brown rice)
-2 tsp. Cajun Seasoning
-1 Tbsp. olive oil
-1 Tbsp. minced garlic from jar
-1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
-2-3 cups frozen stir-fry vegetables, thawed (I used two 12 oz packages, so 3 cups)
-1/2 tsp dry Italian seasoning
-1/2 tsp/ paprika
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/4 tsp ground black pepper
-1 14 oz can stewed tomatoes, no salt added if you can find it, undrained

What You Do:
1. Cook the rice in the microwave according to the directions on the package
You really needed a picture representation of this step, didn't you? :)
2. Coat a large, non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Turn the heat up to medium, add in the shrimp and sprinkle with the cajun seasoning.  Saute until shrimp are cooked, about 4-5 minutes. Then remove from the pan and keep warm (I put mine in a bowl and covered it with another bowl)

3. Add olive oil (1 Tbsp) to the pan, over medium heat. Add in the chopped onion and garlic, mix around and saute for about 30 seconds.

4. Add in the veggies, paprika, and Italian seasoning. Saute for about 3 minutes or until tender.
(Since my veggies were frozen, I heated them up in the microwave about a minute or two under the time for them to be fully "cooked" and it turned out fine)

5. Stir in the cooked rice, shrimp, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook another 1-2 minutes to heat through and combine the flavors.

6. Plate it up and enjoy!

Some things to note:
The original recipe called for 1/4 cup chopped green onions. I feel like the dish doesn't need this. And maybe not even the chopped onion. If I were to make the dish again, I might omit the two onions, and add in another can of stewed tomatoes instead.

This was really good as leftovers. And really quick to clean up! My favorite!

4 comments:

I LOVE hearing your thoughts and comments--so, make my day and leave me some lovin'!