Book Review: The Book Thief

I took advantage of a weekend to myself and a snow day yesterday and got to reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
{via}
My friend Trish had recommended this book to me a while back, and I had suggested it at my book club, where it was added to the list of books but was never picked, so I took it upon myself to read it. Especially since the movie came out and I wanted to read it before I saw the movie.

Here is the synopsis from Goodreads:
"It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier, and will become busier still.
Liesel Meminger is a foster girl living outside of Munich, who scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement. "

I don't even know how to describe this book, other than I really loved it. The first few pages I had trouble getting into it, so if you read it, I suggest trying to get through the first few chapters, where it will read easier.

I think part of a sentence from the book describes itself perfectly, for me:
"the same thing could be so ugly and so glorious, and its words and stories so damning and brilliant"
That is this book. I fell in love with the characters, the stories, the relationships. The perspective that the book is told from is different, and I enjoyed that, too. The only thing that I regret is that I read it in 3 days. I wanted the story to last longer but I couldn't help myself from continuing to read it.

I'm not even sure that I want to see the movie because I'm not sure how it can do this book justice. 

This book is wonderful.
~.~.~.~

And, since today is another snow day/day off from work, I'll be diving into another book...stay tuned! :)

8 comments:

  1. I am so glad you reviewed this book. I have had it in my "to read" stack for a really long time. I've tried to read it but like you said, the first few pages are hard to get into, so I always ended up choosing to read something else. I've heard this book is amazing. Tonight I'm getting it off the shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is totally the kind of book i'd like to read. Especially now the the movie is coming out (or did it come out already? lol)

    BTW, im hosting a "Tell All Tuesdays" Blog Hop with Fitness Blondie. Join us :)

    Kristen @ Your Beauty Fix

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the story, but I hated the narration. And the foreshadowing of disaster... I cried so hard at this book, lol. I'm looking forward to the movie!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is the next book in my pile and i am so exited to read it!!

    i saw the preview for the movie and it caught my eye and then i saw it was based on this book so i had to read the book first :)

    happy friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this book recently too, and while I liked it, I don't think it quite lived up to my expectations. Although that's only because I heard so many great things about it, and built up so my hype, that there was no way it could possibly have been what I wanted it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to read The Book Thief, but I am just worried about it being to sad lol.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing your thoughts and comments--so, make my day and leave me some lovin'!