Entry Hall Mirror Re-Do

I still haven't gotten myself together and downloaded all of the pics from the last week, but what I DID do, is finish my DIY of repainting a mirror for our entry hallway.

MG's mom gave us this mirror from her house that she wasn't using anymore when we moved.
It's a great looking mirror, but gold isn't really in any of the color schemes of our stuff, so I thought I'd repaint it.
Originally I wanted to do either silver or teal and decided on teal.

Here's what I did:
I went to Home Depot and picked out the paint color I had envisioned (I wish I could have done a sample size since that's about all the paint I needed, but those don't come in semi-gloss) which turned out to be Behr's Ultra paint in Sweet Rhapsody.
The paint guy there suggested that I do a satin finish since I didn't want it to be TOO shiny. It turned out great.

Next I used some sandpaper and roughed up the mirror some so that the paint would adhere a little better (especially since the original paint was kind of glossy as well). You can kinda see it along the outer rim in the picture below.
Then I taped up the mirror parts as best as I could, which was challenging given the shapes of the inside frames:

I set up a painting station in the living room and started painting everything with a paintbrush. 
There WILL be brush strokes in this first coat. If you're going for a weathered look, you can stop here. If you're not, use a smaller roller brush made for cabinets on your next coat, once the first coat has dried. 

The other two tiny paintbrushes I used when I took the tape off from around the mirrors. I picked up a 5 pack at Target for about $2.50 because I needed a small brush to get in around the edges of the mirrors to touch up the parts that the tape took off when it came off.

 Once everything dried, I had a brand new mirror!
(and a dog who was curious about what was going on :)
The lighting it a little darker in the last picture...the original picture is more true to the color.

I still need to hang it (aka, MG needs to hang it)--my plan being over the table in our hallway entry:

If you need/want a reminder of the general look I'm going for, take a peek at my pin-spiration: here

We still need some color on the walls, but, one project at a time! :)
Think it turned out ok and will look good all together?

9 comments:

  1. The color turned out great! Good job, Jenn!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome! Love that color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that color!! It looks awesome! :) I have a love/hate relationship with painting. Small things like the mirror and stuff YAY! walls.........yeah I'll pass!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aka MG needs to hang it! good call.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That mirror is such a great shape! I love the new color!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing your thoughts and comments--so, make my day and leave me some lovin'!