I promised I'd share this recipe with you all when I talked about it last week and boy are you in for a treat!
This lasagna soup is delicious, decadent, hearty and downright EASY. Perfect for these Winter nights! It looks like a long list, but it's not that bad and you probably have a few of these items at home. I promise, it's worth it!
What You Need:
-1 pound lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
-1 small yellow onion, diced
-4-5 garlic cloves (I did 4)
-1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
-24 oz jar pasta sauce
-6-8 cups low sodium chicken broth
-14 oz can crushed tomatoes
-2 tablespoons tomato paste
-2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
-1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
-1 tablespoon dried basil
-1 teaspoon dried parsley
-1 teaspoon dried oregano
-1 whole bay leaf
-1 teaspoon salt
-1/2 teaspoon pepper
-10 uncooked lasagna noodles, broken into approx. 1-2 inch pieces*
-1/2 cup heavy cream (optional--I recommend it)
*Toppings: mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, ricotta (I used parm and mozzarella because I hate ricotta cheese)
What You Do:
1. Heat a large pot over medium heat; add the beef (or turkey) and onion, and cook until browned. Drain excess fat.
2. Add garlic and red pepper and cook for another 30 seconds to a minute.
3. Add in the pasta sauce, 6 cups of chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, balsamic, sugar, basil, parsley, oregano, bay leaf, salt and pepper and lasagna noodles. Cook until pasta noodles are cooked through (about 20-30 minutes).
4. Discard the bay leaf. Add in the heavy cream if you're using it (I recommend it).
5. Dole out the servings and top each with desired cheese toppings. I chose mozzarella and parmesan!