Book Review: A Long Way Gone

Hey all! I'm on day two of my break, which means that I've had a little extra time to read--woohoo! I just finished the book A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah:


It's about a boy who lives in a village in Sierra Leone and has to deal with the wars that run rampant through his country and his village, his losses,  his experiences, this he learns, etc. It's also a true story (the author is the main character), one that is eye-opening to those of us who only hear about such things on the news. 

It's a book that will make you appreciate all of the luxuries and freedoms that we are so fortunate to have here. Although I feel like I am pretty aware of things going on in the world, this book was eye-opening. I think it is a must-read for everyone. 

I won't go into too much detail, but I will provide you with a quote that was particularly strong for me:

"...I still felt as if I was dreaming, a dream that I didn't want to wake up from. I was sad to leave, but I was also pleased to have met people outside of Sierra Leone. Because if I was to get killed upon my return, I knew that a memory of my existence was alive somewhere in the world"

I can't imagine having that thought go through my head....but I think it is a powerful statement of what becomes important when nothing feels like it is guaranteed.

I hope you look into the book--it's a short, easy read, but extremely powerful.



5 comments:

  1. oh, i have heard of the book before. i think it would be too heavy of a read for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking for new books to read....thanks for sharing chica....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had my eye on this book for a while now. I am going to have to pick it up. That quote gave me goosebumps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! I love that you read this book! I met Ishmael at a conference on human trafficking that I went to for work about 2 years ago. He's a fantastic speaker and his experience is remarkable. Thanks for posting about it!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing your thoughts and comments--so, make my day and leave me some lovin'!