Tasty Tuesday: Skinny Tunacakes with Chipotle Mayo

"Tuna cakes???" you're asking....
Ohhhh yes. They are just like crab cakes, except you make them with tuna fish!
AND, they're not bad for you! I found this recipe on Pinterest (here) and knew I had to try it. Since MG is still outta town, I figured what better time to try out a new recipe (cuz if it stunk, I could always order some pizza hehe)

Now that I have your interest piqued, here's how to make these fab tunacakes!

What you'll need (for the cakes):
-2, 5 oz cans of albacore tuna
-1/2 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/2 of a small-medium onion, chopped
-1 tsp pepper
-1 tsp salt (I would omit the salt. They came out more salty than I wanted)
-2 egg whites
-1/4 C Panko bread crumbs

For the Chipotle Mayo dressing:
-1/4 C reduced fat miracle whip salad dressing/mayo
-1-2 tsp chili powder (depending on the heat you want--I usually do 1.5)
-1 tsp lime juice

OR....you can just buy the Chipotle Mayo already made. Since I had it in my fridge, I just used that to top off each cake when I was done.

Steps:
1) Open and drain the cans of tuna. In a medium bowl, mix the tuna, onion, Old Bay Seasoning, pepper (and salt if you choose to add it, but I would leave it out), 2 egg whites and the panko bread crumbs. 

Then, you mix that stuff up! Mix it....mix it good....(yeah you know you're singing "whip it" in your head now!) :)

2) Separate the mixture into 4 patties.

3) Spray a medium frying pan with non-stick cooking spray. Add in the patties and cook them over medium heat.
Turn them over a few times to make sure they are cooked through. I recommend waiting a couple of minutes to do the first flip so that the patties stay as patties, and don't fall apart like 2 of mine did (then you have tuna cake mess...and that's not nearly as fun!)
Oops!
4)Mix together the ingredients for the chipotle mayo until it's well combined. 
Or, if you're like me, just get that bottle outta the fridge!

5) Pull the cakes out of the frying pan and top with the mayo mixture.
6) Get your grub on!

I think this would be good served with a salad or just about anything else you would eat with crab cakes cuz they taste JUST like them!

Enjoy!!


4 comments:

  1. Interesting...definitely interesting. haha. I'm going to take your word for it and try them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good to me. I've used the traditional crab cake recipe with canned salmon before, and that turns out nicely, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH my I MUST try these!!! Looks sooooooo delish!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing your thoughts and comments--so, make my day and leave me some lovin'!