Book Review: The Language of Flowers

Right before I left for vacation, my book club met, and at the end we chose another book to read. Just in time! So, while I was on vacation I zipped through the book that we chose. I really enjoyed it and thought I'd share it with you!
The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh
{via}
The Amazon summary is: 
"The Victorian language of flowers was used to convey romantic expressions: honeysuckle for devotion, asters for patience, and red roses for love. But for Victoria Jones, it’s been more useful in communicating mistrust and solitude. After a childhood spent in the foster-care system, she is unable to get close to anybody, and her only connection to the world is through flowers and their meanings. Now eighteen and emancipated from the system with nowhere to go, Victoria realizes she has a gift for helping others through the flowers she chooses for them. But an unexpected encounter with a mysterious stranger has her questioning what’s been missing in her life. And when she’s forced to confront a painful secret from her past, she must decide whether it’s worth risking everything for a second chance at happiness."

I was really curious about this story because it sounded like some of the students I work with who have Autism, but once I read it, I realized it wasn't like that. It was actually a really interesting story, in which you got to see how the main character deals with her relationships, and how one special relationship shaped who she is and who she becomes.
And, after reading this, I became more interested in the meanings behind flowers :)

It was a really quick read for me, and wasn't too heavy (which I had thought it might be in the beginning). Definitely check it out if you get the chance!

8 comments:

  1. Books are fun, I need to join a book club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eh. Meaning of flowers sounds cool. Rest of book ... Not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, sounds like you found another good read. I love flowers - but never really put too much thought into what they mean. It's so romantic that people used to use them as a way to communicate love messages:) Adding this book to my 'to read' list - always love your suggestions Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i read this one too, it was pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been looking for a new read-- maybe I'll check this one out! Happy to have found your blog! Gotta show some love to fellow east coast ladies who also work with kids! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been on the fence about this book. Maybe I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just checked this out of the library because I saw it on the NYT bestseller list. It definitely seemed a little heavy from the description, so I am excited that you thought it wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds interesting. I've never heard of this book. I'm going to add it to my shelf on Goodreads!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing your thoughts and comments--so, make my day and leave me some lovin'!