Blogtember: Advice

I'm linking up with Jenni for another edition of Blogtember

Thursday, September 5: Pass on some useful advice or information you learned and always remembered. 

I think the most important piece of advice that I've ever gotten is to try and put yourself in someone else's shoes before you get upset about something.
{via}
I've found that it's really easy to fly off the deep end when you're upset, BUT it's also almost as easy (and avoids a lot of anger and hurt feelings) to take a few and try to see where someone else is coming from and why they may have perceived something one way, while you perceived it another way. I think it's really helped me be able to take a step back and say "I think you thought this, but I really meant this" or whatever the situation may be. 
It helped people feel understood and heard. Which I think is the root of most issues and problems. People get upset when they don't feel like they're being understood by someone else. I know that for myself, when someone says "I understand why you felt that way"...my anger and upset emotions tend to fall away and then I'm really open to talking and fixing things, rather than just being focused on being mad.

I would hope that people who know me would describe me as compassionate and understanding. 

7 comments:

  1. OH my gosh that photo is soooo cute!
    I try to put myself in other's shoes a lot, but sometimes I let my emotions get the best of me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that you're compassionate and understanding! I can even mention a specific time where you were exactly that and another friend of iIt's was not. It meant (and still means) so much to me. Thank you for being such a good friend. I love you tons:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an important reminder. It's definitely easy to get frustrated until you imagine how the other person is feeling/where they are coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a very good idea to choose to take some time to reflect on the issue and calm down so that you don't overreact and end up putting yourself in the wrong!

    The Random Writings of Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um, I need this dog! And yes-- this is so true. Very difficult to do sometimes in the heat of the moment though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really saves us all the energy spent for negative emotions when we learn to step back and take into consideration where other people are coming from. Great advice, Jenn!

    Gab ☮

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely agree that putting yourself in someone else's shoes is a great piece of advice - and would probably solve a lot of problems if more people tried to do it!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing your thoughts and comments--so, make my day and leave me some lovin'!