Books for Days!

I've whipped through another 4 books since the last time I posted, and it just so happens to be Stephanie's link up, so I'm gonna share my most recent reads with ya!

First Comes Love by Emily Giffin
The Goodreads summary is really long, so I'll tell you that this book is about two sisters in their 30's, still dealing with the aftermath of the loss of their brother earlier in their lives. One sister is married with a kid, and the other sister is a school teacher, wanting a family. The book follows their relationship, and their own journeys.

I love Emily Giffin books. I will say that this one was ok for me. I didn't love it and I didn't hate it. I ended the book feeling like not that much actually happened. I'll say I liked this story better than One and Only. I'd give this book 3 stars....maybe 3.5.

The Vacationers by Emma Straub
{via}
The Goodreads synopsis is:
"For the Posts, a two-week trip to the Balearic island of Mallorca with their extended family and friends is a celebration: Franny and Jim are observing their thirty-fifth wedding anniversary, and their daughter, Sylvia, has graduated from high school. The sunlit island, its mountains and beaches, its tapas and tennis courts, also promise an escape from the tensions simmering at home in Manhattan. But all does not go according to plan: over the course of the vacation, secrets come to light, old and new humiliations are experienced, childhood rivalries resurface, and ancient wounds are exacerbated."

I read this one thinking it would be fun to read while on vacation. It was probably my least favorite book that I've read this summer. The characters in the book aren't very likable. They all seem kind of spoiled and bratty. The only really redeeming part was the ending and the "moral of the story" if you will. 
Would I recommend this book? Maybe if you didn't have any other books to read, and you didn't pay for it. I originally rated it as 3 stars on Goodreads, mainly because of how it tied up at the end. But overall, the book was 2.5 stars for me.

The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman
{via}
Part of the Goodreads Synopsis:
"After four harrowing years on the Western Front, Tom Sherbourne returns to Australia and takes a job as the lighthouse keeper on Janus Rock, nearly half a day’s journey from the coast. To this isolated island, where the supply boat comes once a season and shore leaves are granted every other year at best, Tom brings a young, bold, and loving wife, Isabel. Years later, after two miscarriages and one stillbirth, the grieving Isabel hears a baby’s cries on the wind. A boat has washed up onshore carrying a dead man and a living baby.... "
The rest of the story unfolds in some interesting ways.
I'd had this book on my to-read list for a while, and thanks to Christy for letting me borrow it, I was able to finally read it, and before the movie comes out!
I'll say the book started off very slowly in the beginning with some tedious descriptions about lighthouses, etc. But, once the story picks up, it was hard for me to put it down. It was definitely worth the read. I'm interested to see it on the big screen!
I give this one 4 stars only because of the slow start in the beginning. The book was beautifully written overall.

One Plus One by Jojo Moyes
{via}
The Goodreads Synopsis:
"Suppose your life sucks. A lot. Your husband has done a vanishing act, your teenage stepson is being bullied and your math whiz daughter has a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that you can’t afford to pay for. That’s Jess’s life in a nutshell—until an unexpected knight-in-shining-armor offers to rescue them. Only Jess’s knight turns out to be Geeky Ed, the obnoxious tech millionaire whose vacation home she happens to clean. But Ed has big problems of his own, and driving the dysfunctional family to the Math Olympiad feels like his first unselfish act in ages... maybe ever."
I love Jojo Moyes and I was excited to read another one of her books. I love the wide range of things that she writes about too, and this book was no exception. I really enjoyed getting to know the characters in this book and watch the relationship unfold. It was a perfect read while I was at the beach!
I rated this book 4 stars.

That's what I've been reading lately! I'm reading another Liane Moriarty book now, hoping to read her new book, and maybe pack one more in before the school year starts! Any books that are must-reads?
SaveSaveSaveSave

27 comments:

  1. Adding a few of these to my reading list! I almost picked up The Vacationers last time I was at the library, but now I am glad I didn't!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the Light Between Oceans a few years ago for my book club and loved it. Then I saw the movie trailer last night on Facebook so I'm excited to go see it in theaters! I had no idea it was being made into a movie. I'm still up in the air on if I ever want to read another Jojo Moyes book again. I absolutely loved Me Before You and hated After You. Does the one you read have a love story in it?
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm i think i'm one of the few who does not like books by jojo moyes. perhaps i'm not giving them a long enough chance?

    i have Light Between the Oceans on my "later" shelf at the library so once I get through this batch of books, I'm going to get that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One plus one sounds like a Spanish soap opera! I'll keep that one in mind! Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt the same way about First Comes Love! I kept waiting for something big to happen and... I'm still waiting. But it was an easy read and perfect for the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hearing about new books :) I felt the same way about First Comes loves. I was waiting for something big to happened and it never did :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you read What Alice forgot?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think a few people mentioned The Light Between Oceans in the last link-up, that one might have to go on the TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I felt the same way about Emily Giffin's new book. I did end up liking the ending, but the book as whole didn't wow me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just started The Light Between Oceans a couple days ago - I'm glad to hear that it picks up because I'm definitely struggling with it right now, lol. I'm going to add that JoJo Moyes book to my reading list. Great reviews today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read The Vacationers a year or two ago and had similar feelings. I read her newest book (modern lovers) and was hoping I would like it a lot more but I didn't, so I think her writing style just isn't for me. One Plus One is one of my favorites- definitely one I'd like to read again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A year (more?) ago, I also read The Vacationers on Vacation thinking tee hee look what I'm doing. I didn't like the book at all.

    I liked The Light Between Oceans a lot. I ugly cried reading that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i didn't read one and only, but i did read first comes love and felt very 'meh' about it as well. i didn't think there was much point to it and when it started getting good or having a point, it ended.
    i absolutely LOVED one plus one. i am scared to read more of jojo moyes older books in case they don't stack up to her more recent ones haha but i did love that one!
    i read the light between oceans a year or so ago and i remember liking it, very thought provoking and heart wrenching. i can't wait for the movie but i hope they don't make those actors do australian accents, cringe! lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can never have too many new books on your list, I'm going to add one of yours to mine! Thanks girl! I wish I read more - time to make it happen!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been meaning to read another JoJo Moyes book. She has a WWII historical fiction book that I've had my eye one. I need to re-read The Light Between Oceans. I started it last year and couldn't get into it. But now that I've seen the preview and read a few other reviews I think I might really like it now. Thankfully I have it already.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I felt the same way about first comes love. I need to add the others to my list. Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't remember if One Plus One is on my TBR, but if it's not, then I'm adding it now! :) The Light Between Oceans is on my TBR but I've been hesitant to read it. It's going to be an emotional read and I haven't been in the right place to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooooh I've only read one of these, so I have some new ones to add to my list! Thanks, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had to return The Vacationers to the library before I read it. Sounds like that wasn't such a bad thing...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was not a big fan of Emily Giffin's last book, so I"m hoping that I enjoy First Comes Love better! I totally agree with you about The Light Between Oceans! It was such a beautiful book, even if it did take a while to get into the story. The movie looks so good, but I'm going to have to make sure to bring some tissues with me!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Emily Giffin, she is such an awesome author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ugh, I hate The Vacationers too. So boring! I took it on vacation with me last December and it took me like 2 weeks to get through. I pushed through because everyone I knew who had read it loved it. I loved The Light Between Oceans - such a good book! I bawled my eyes out though. Not sure how I will get through the movie, lol! I have One Plus One on my bookshelf and need to read it sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I thought A Light Between Oceans was super slow at the beginning too. Such a bummer about First Comes Love-seems like a lot of people didn't like it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I intend to read The Light Between Oceans soon. I've had it on my tbr for ages, so I finally selected it for a book challenge to encourage me to read it (finally.)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Adding these to my to-read list! My challenge this year is to read from authors I haven't read before! Thanks for the list Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I loved One Plus One a lot.
    I always see The Vacationers at the library, but never tried it. Now I know it probably wouldn't be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. LOVED Light Between Oceans! Such a good book. I just picked up First Comes Love for our beach trip and am bummed to hear it wasn't that great!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing your thoughts and comments--so, make my day and leave me some lovin'!