On the Eve of Three

Tomorrow marks 3 years since I lost my dad. It's crazy to me that it was 3 years ago already. It feels like it was just yesterday, but also like so much has happened, especially when I consider that Ella wasn't in the picture when we lost him.

I still have random moments that hit me out of nowhere and I tear up or just full on sob. Shows that deal with the loss of dads always get me. Father daughter dances at weddings, I'm a basket case. I miss my dad. I wish he was here to love on Ella, and snuggle her. I'd give just about anything to get a hug from him again.
I will say this. I know my dad's around. He visited me in my dreams a little while ago and this week, I was at home, Ella was sleeping and MG was making his way back from his work trip. I was reading Michelle Obama's book, and I got to the point where she lost her dad. She described a scene that sounded so familiar to what it was like when we lost my dad, and when I finished the section, I closed up the book and decided to go upstairs and dry my hair (having showered earlier and was just letting it air dry some). When I got into the bedroom, I went to my nightstand to get something out, and happened to see a manila envelope at the bottom and couldn't remember what it was.
So I opened it, pulled out the pile of things inside, and right on top, looking me square in the face, was a picture of me and my dad from when I was a baby, a little younger than Ella is now.
It struck me in that moment how perfectly in sync everything was--reading the part about losing her dad,  feeling connected to that story, and then by some weird happenstance, seeing that picture of me and my dad in a long forgotten about envelope. He was letting me know he's here, and it stopped me in my tracks and made me smile.
I went through the rest of the stack of old pictures, cards from MG when we started dating, etc, and at the very end was a card from my dad on Valentine's day. I didn't even remember that I had saved that years and years ago.
It was the perfect reminder that he's here, even when I can't see him. He's here, and that gives me comfort.
That picture is now on my nightstand so I can see it every morning, and every night, because it's obvious that he wanted to remind me that he's here, and that's a reminder that I'll take, every single day.
I love you!

8 comments:

  1. Praying for you during this time, Jenn. Can't believe it's been three years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ella looks so much like you in that photo with your dad. He is always with you. He was truly a good one, I am so glad he got to walk you down the aisle and I got to meet him at your wedding. Love you sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw sending you lots of hugs, I know you miss him everyday. I love how little reminders like that happen when we need them. You and Ella look so much alike!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big hugs to you my friend. I can't believe that was three years ago.

    I love that you are open to the signs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending lots of love your way. I wish I could say it gets easier but it never really does. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's fine i'm not crying at all. what a sweet moment to happen - and totally him sending you all the signs. sending all the hugs even if i am delayed in this comment. heart you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just now seeing this. I know that time does NOT dull the void, but I hope you felt your dad's presence and enjoyed fond memories of him this past weekend. XOXO, R

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing your thoughts and comments--so, make my day and leave me some lovin'!