A New Hobby

I have always loved photography. In Highschool I tried to take the photography class and never ended up having it work with my schedule (nuts), and I have always loved taking pictures of friends, with friends, and different places I visit. I think I get this from my mom who, when we used to go on trips when I was younger, would come back with a baggie full of film rolls (in the pre-digital age where you actually had to get film developed--damn I feel old).

                       (site)

I have seen several of my friends get into the hobby that has turned into a side job and sometimes even a full time business. Being a speech pathologist in a school (on a teacher's salary) means I could always use some extra money. I also feel like since I've been out of school I've been missing some creative outlets (which is another reason why blogging is so great!) I had looked into getting a digital SLR camera, but they were just so expensive that I couldn't warrant the expense, especially right around the holidays.

Well, Boyfriend surprised me big time this birthday--this didn't even pop into my head as a potential for something he would get me--and he got me an SLR camera so that I could start my hobby! How awesome is he?? (He made sure to say: "See? I listen!" haha)

I am so incredibly excited, and have been since I've gotten the camera. I've already taken numerous shots of my dog, Cooper, while  trying to figure out how everything works and changes things. What I've realized is just how incompetent I really am when it comes to this. Luckily my camera comes with, what I call, the "dummy button" which seems to make pictures look really nice despite all of the settings that I've messed with. The "dummy button" is the right place for me to start, but I'm hoping to, over time, move away from it and make my own pretty pictures. (P.S. when looking for pictures of "dummy buttons" on Google,  the number of images of buttons that came up referencing George Bush made me giggle.) The sad thing is, the "dummy button" lights up in blue to make sure that everyone around you knows that you are an incompetent boob. Womp womp.

The fact that I had to read the instruction manual to figure out how to put the neck strap on is probably an indication of just how long this process could take! Doh!

In the meantime, I'm having fun, and hopefully I will get good enough that I can start posting some of my stuff up here for you all to see!

2 comments:

  1. Stopping by from Mingle Monday...Hope you are loving your new best friend! What a fun gift and great boyfriend! Hope you are able to make your way to the oh so fun 'M' button (Manual) Once you get started it'll be weird to use the 'dummy' button and there are so many fun things you can do in the 'M' setting! Happy Clicking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am!! And I HAVE moved from the dummy button to the "M" setting. I think I have messed with it so much that I have changed all kinds of settings tho. But I am finally getting the hang of it! :) Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing your thoughts and comments--so, make my day and leave me some lovin'!