Book Review: The One and Only

I guess you can say I'm back on the reading wagon again (amazing how much time you have when you're 1-not reading a boring book, and 2-not busy painting and re-doing kitchen cabinets!)

The super sweet Katie sent me the book The One and Only by Emily Giffin. I'd been really wanting to read this one since it came out since I've really liked all of her books, so as soon as it arrived I got to reading. I think I finished it in about 3-4 days.
{via}

Here's the Goodreads synopsis:
Thirty-three-year-old Shea Rigsby has spent her entire life in Walker, Texas—a small college town that lives and dies by football, a passion she unabashedly shares. Raised alongside her best friend, Lucy, the daughter of Walker’s legendary head coach, Clive Carr, Shea was too devoted to her hometown team to leave. Instead she stayed in Walker for college, even taking a job in the university athletic department after graduation, where she has remained for more than a decade.

But when an unexpected tragedy strikes the tight-knit Walker community, Shea’s comfortable world is upended, and she begins to wonder if the life she’s chosen is really enough for her. As she finally gives up her safety net to set out on an unexpected path, Shea discovers unsettling truths about the people and things she has always trusted most—and is forced to confront her deepest desires, fears, and secrets.

It took me a little while to get into the book...it was very football focused and some of the things that were going on, I was kinda of put off by. Plus, the main character, Shea, didn't seem like a 33 year old woman to me, but more like a mid 20-something. 
As more relationships came into play, I got more into the book and wanted to find out what was going to happen. There's a plot line here that, as it started to unfold, I was hoping it wouldn't. I'm still not sure how I feel about it, but I guess that's what makes for a good book--something to make you think, and debate with yourself.
One way or another, I ended up reading this book for almost an entire day straight because I wanted to find out how it all turned out, so that's gotta tell you something. 
I will say, it was my least favorite of Emily Giffin's books, by far. 
I would give it 3.5 out of 5 stars. 


5 comments:

  1. I hated it. One this is nothing like Texas football and it eeked me about that she had a thing for the coach and such... just so weird and so not probable. I just felt like Emily Griffin gave up on this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm, i will still read it even though it wasn't as great as you say... its on my list. thanks for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have to agree with Lynn - I hated it and was SO disappointed. It gave me the creeps. Especially the way it ended. Totally not probable. At all. Hopefully Emily will redeem herself with her next one because I LOVED all her books until this one. (And am really hoping for a sequel to Where We Belong - anyone else?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad I am not the only one who had difficulty getting into it as they were reading! At first, I thought it was a lot of football (not my thing) and it was a different style of a plot line then I am used to from her. I hope her next one is better/doesn't follow this type of story line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have this on my "to read" list. I feel all of Emily Giffin's books are exteremly slow at the beginning. This always makes me hesitant to read her, but the all turn out really good!

    ~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
    acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing your thoughts and comments--so, make my day and leave me some lovin'!