Recipe: Teriyaki Meatballs

This week I was back at it with trying a new recipe in the kitchen and it's another really tasty one. And husband approved!
I found this recipe (where else?) on Pinterest from Budget Bytes.
I know, it may not look the most appetizing, but it's delicious!
What You Need:
For the meatballs:
-1 pound ground turkey or pork(I used turkey)
-1 large egg
-1 tsp minced garlic
-1/2 C plain breadcrumbs
-2 inches fresh ginger (I used about 1/2 tsp of already grated ginger in a spice jar)
-1/2 tsp soy sauce
-2 whole green onions (I forgot to add these and they were still fine. Optional)
-10-15 cranks fresh ground black pepper

For the teriyaki glaze:
-1/2 C soy sauce
-1/2 C brown sugar
-1/2 C water
-1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
-1/2 Tbsp toasted sesame oil (mine didn't say 'toasted' and was still fine)
-2 inches fresh ginger (again, I just did a couple shakes out of the spice jar)
-2 Tbsp corn starch
-1 Tbsp sesame seeds

-Rice (make whatever kind you want. I made brown rice for health factor)

It looks like a LOT of stuff, but it is REALLY easy (one of the more simple recipes I've made).

What You Do:
1)Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Add all of the ingredients listed above for the meatballs into a large bowl. Mix the ingredients really well until combined.

2) Get a baking sheet and line it with foil. Shape the meat mixture into small meatballs, using about a tablespoon. Original recipe says it should yield 30 meatballs, mine yielded 24.

3) Bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden brown (mine only took 35 minutes)

4) While the meatballs are cooking (about 8-10 minutes before they are done), start making the glaze. 
In a medium pot, combine the soy sauce, water, brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, and ginger. Heat it over a low flame until the brown sugar melts (only a couple minutes)
Dilute the cornstarch just enough with water so it's easily poured. Add this to the pot and stir, turning the heat up to medium-high.

5) Once the sauce thickens, add in the sesame seeds and stir.
Keep this on low until the meatballs are reading.

*Cook the rice you're using at whatever time you think so it's ready when the meatballs are out of the oven.

6) Once the meatballs are done, they should look something like this:

Add them into the sauce pan, coating them in the glaze. 

7) Get your rice ready in a bowl, and add about 6 meatballs to each bowl (or more if you want). Put another spoonful or two of the sauce over the rice for additional flavor.

Next time I make this, I'm going to make edamame and add it to the rice bowl for some veggies, and some color. Super yum!
I hope you enjoy!!

P.S. I want to end this post with a BIRTHDAY shout out to my BEST FRIEND!!! Happy 30th birthday, Genna!! I love you buttloads and I wish you nothing but happiness as your start your 30s!! I hope your present makes it there today :)

3 comments:

  1. These look delicious!! Definitely making them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! These sound awesome!

    ~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
    acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh yum!! This will be great with holiday get togethers, etc. coming up! mmm I'm now hungry!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing your thoughts and comments--so, make my day and leave me some lovin'!