Mourning

I didn't feel like writing a re-cap of my weekend today. Instead, I wanted to take today to mourn the loss of so many wonderful people, big and small, who were taken far too early last Friday.

I have had an ache in my heart since hearing about the shooting on Friday that took so many innocent lives. I think it was brought even closer to home for me since I work at an elementary school, full of bright and smiley faces. I can't even imagine what these families are going through.

I posted this status on Saturday morning on Facebook:
I think I'm finding tragedies like this so much harder to deal with than other things like Hurricane Sandy, which was horrible in its own right. It's in our human nature to want to help during a tragedy. Those of us not directly affected by the hurricane were able to do something to try and help, whether it was donating money, items, time/labor, etc. But in a situation like this, there's no way to
 do some physical action to "help," to try to make a dent in an overwhelming situation. One that is made harder by the fact that children were involved, who had the realities of a scary world all too quickly brought to the forefront of their lives. I'm having trouble feeling anything but helpless, in how to help those affected by this, in how to go back to work on Monday and not let this affect ourselves and our kids. I want to DO something, but it's hard to know what that "thing" is....
Continuing to send my thoughts, prayers, and hope to those affected 
by this horrific tragedy.



I want to be able to physically do something to help alleviate the pain these families are going through, but I can't. Feeling helpless is the worst kind of feeling. And my feelings of helplessness are insignificant when compared to those dealing with this directly.

As I got ready for work this morning, I had the thought that so many other teachers last Friday morning were going through their normal routine, and had no idea it would be for the last time.

I'm thankful for all of those brave individuals who did everything in their power to protect the children who are in their presence on a daily basis. I know, as teachers, we all would have done the same things, to try and increase the safety for our kiddos.

I can only continue to send hope and healing prayers to the families of the victims, and to our country as a whole.

Today continues to be a day of mourning for me.

2 comments:

  1. So sad.

    I feel we will all be mouring for a long time.

    :(!

    Thanks for being a teacher and working with the youngins!

    I'm sending you a virtual HUG! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way as a teacher, and I agree that these tragedies seem so much harder then natural happenings....
    Thank you for what you do...
    Still heartbroken

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing your thoughts and comments--so, make my day and leave me some lovin'!